Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Top 5 Anticipated Films Coming Out in Late-2019


We're finally in the second half of 2019 and as disappointed as I am at the films that came out this year at least we have a few anticipated films coming out soon. So far in the first half of 2019 we've been subjected to highlights of the year such as Avengers: Endgame but later this year is where the ball really gets rolling as well as the variety of films that's about to come out soon. I've been looking forward to some of these anticipated films for a very long time, and also some have gone under the radar but became part of my list.

So without anything else to add here's my top 5 anticipated films in late 2019:

The Irishman
















Martin Scorsese's most anticipated film in his career stars previous collaborators Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel, with Al Pacino in his first collaboration with Scorsese. The film is based on the story of real life mob hitman Frank Sheeran and his possible involvement in the murder of the American union labor leader Jimmy Hoffa. As an admirer of Scorsese's work I think this is possibly his most technically challenging film since he has chosen to use CGI on the older actors to de-age them rather than use younger actors who resemble them. 

1917 (25 December)
















Sam Mendes' new war film was very much under my radar aside from knowing of Roger Deakins' involvement behind the camera until a teaser trailer finally dropped in August. Set during World War I, 1917 tells the story of two young British soldiers who are given an impossible mission: deliver a message, deep in enemy territory, that will stop their own men, and Blake's own brother, from walking straight into a deadly trap. I'm aware that some people weren't impressed with Dunkirk but if it's existence says anything it's that we need more films set during the first world war.

Knives Out (27 November)
















A stacked cast? Check. A murder-mystery? Check. Michael Shannon? Check. Shannon is among my favorite actors despite looking like he'll get overshadowed by everyone else judging by the trailer but he makes great choices so I'm not going to complain. It tells the story of a family get-together celebrating their patriarch's 80th birthday that turns for the worse when the celebrant (played by Christopher Plummer) is murdered and the family members each become a suspect. 

Ford v Ferrari (15 November)

















This is probably one of the few movies about cars that I will actually watch because I just can't stand the rest as entertaining as they look, other than that I also had no idea that there was a rivalry between the two companies so that part of the story is what I'll watch it for. The cast is full of competent actors like Christian Bale who 'll make this movie worth everyone's time though it looks to be one of the films made for awards season. 

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (20 December)


The Rise of Skywalker takes place a year after the events of The Last Jedi with the continuing conflict between the Resistance and the First Order while the ancient conflict between the Jedi and the Sith reaches to a climax. I didn't enjoy The Last Jedi as much as I wanted to but I'm a sucker for Star Wars so I'll wait for first reactions from fans of the franchise. 

Note: I'm only mentioning films that will likely be in cinemas in my country.

2 comments:

  1. I'm only looking forward to The Irishman out of those but I'm so happy about all those glowing reviews for it. It's been a while since we got a truly fantastic Pacino performance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already assuming that Pacino will be up for awards next year, also read that it's 3 1/2 hours long so we'll all be in for a treat :D

      Delete