Saturday, September 25, 2021

Report of the Week: 9/17 - 9/24/2021 (w/Links)

This is a new segment of the blog I'd like to call 'Report of the Week' where I give you the latest updates to my movie viewing week as well as the latest news on trailers, and upcoming movies and other movie related things which I am going to be posting every Saturday of the week. The title is inspired by the YouTube channel of the same name and it's a channel I highly recommend.

On Friday, the trailer for Steven Spielberg's West Side Story dropped and it is gorgeous! I like how it concentrated a lot on Maria's point of view instead of Tony's, so I'm guessing that the Ansel Elgort controversy is still lingering around and Spielberg needs this movie to be a hit. Having rewound the trailer a few times already, I am also very intrigued by the actor playing Riff a.k.a. Mike Faist (who's a Broadway star) and what he's portrayal of the character is going to be like. Overall, this is one of the trailers that got me hyped up for a movie I didn't know I wanted to see this year. 
On the same day, I watched The Sound of Music in full for the first time in years with a good friend of mine who just saw it for the first time. It comes as no surprise that she enjoyed it and even thanked me for unknowingly luring her into watching the movie with me. As for the movie itself, it holds up really well and Julie Andrews and the late Christopher Plummer are legends with one of the greatest screen chemistries I've ever seen put on film. However, the runtime bogs it down a little bit which prevents me from giving it a 5-star review. If you want to know more about my thoughts on The Sound of Music, here's a link to the post where I talk about it at greater length. 
On Sunday with the same friend, we watched Animal House together since she asked for recommendations for a movie with teenagers in the lead roles and while the actors in this were hardly teenagers this was a nice stress reliever. I can tell that this isn't going to be the last time we do this because there are so many movies with teenagers as the leads. The movie itself has it's moments but you do get a sense that it's dated. Oh and did I mention that this has a very young Kevin Bacon in a small role? That evening, my mom and I watched the 1961 version of West Side Story and I have to say that I'm not so keen on this one even though if it's directed by the same guy who did The Sound of Music; Robert Wise and written by the same writer too, Ernest Lehman. I don't know about you but Romeo and Juliet's story isn't appealing to me at all and it being turned into a musical doesn't help. The choreography is overdone a little bit with the two rival gangs twirling and swirling all around town even though it's very unnecessary and don't tell me well duh, it's a musical like I get it but boy it wasted more time on the dancing rather than the story or the characters. If you want to read more about my thoughts about it here's the link to the review.
I watched Sound of Metal on Tuesday afternoon and it was brilliant! A lot of it is anchored by Riz Ahmed's performance as Ruben, a heavy metal drummer who's losing his hearing. I thought the way this is edited to give you the experience of a deaf person was great, it really made me realize that we take a lot of what we have for granted. I have to give a mention to Paul Raci who plays Joe in this, it's the first time I ever heard of this actor and he really made me believe in his performance. Ahmed definitely deserved that Academy Award nomination and so did Raci. Lastly, I love how this was shot on film and not on digital, it gives the movie a charm. 
On Thursday afternoon I watched Strange Days, a movie that I came across after reading this review of Lisa Joy's Reminiscence and I thought it was brilliant, the characters are compelling without falling into tropes that's expected of the genre while also staying relevant 26 years after it came out. I highly recommend it to people who are into cult classics because this one doesn't miss. I also wrote a review of it on my blog which you can read here
On Friday, the new trailer for Pablo Larrain's Spencer dropped and while this looks closely similar to his 2016 debut movie Jackie this looks just as promising. It's one of my most anticipated movies of the year and I can't just get enough of the people's princess now that The Crown is becoming a thing in our house. I'm trying to also revive my Tarkovsky marathon for a post I'm about to do on Andrei Tarkovsky's movies so fingers crossed that I might all his movies this time around starting with The Sacrifice and until I get a chance to view both Nostalghia and Mirror again.
In the evening, I started watching Netflix's latest show Midnight Mass and while it's a horror show with many elements taken right out of a Stephen King novel particularly Revival and Salem's Lot which I hope doesn't spoil it for most of you out there. It's a slow burn and while I find the human aspects interesting it also drags down the show a bit, I find the horror minimal which is great and the reveal is done well enough though not something expected from the creator of The Haunting series. I'm planning on writing a review for it just as soon as I finish all the episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment